Saturday, January 29, 2011

The last 48 hours...

Now that I have had some food and some decent rest, I will hopefully be able to form some decent, coherent thoughts on the last 48 hours.

First off, let me start by saying that I am really considering living in a padded room covered in bubble wrap until April because I am at a loss of words and understanding at this point.

Anyway, let me just dive right in. On Thursday I was heading to a meeting and I noticed an ambulance, lights flashing and siren blaring, coming towards me and turning left in front of me so I slowed down. Well the lady behind me didn't and she crashed into the back of my car. While I was wearing my seat belt, I hit the steering wheel and the top portion on  my stomach hit as well, my airbag did not deploy. My only thoughts at this point were that we have come  this far only to lose Grayson because of a car accident. It is dark and morbid I know but after losing one child it becomes your reality. People stopped to help us, the other lady was not injured just shook up, and I asked for an ambulance because of my past history of placenta abruption and pre-term contractions with this pregnancy. I was a wreck with crying and pretty shook up too so I couldn't really tell if I was having contractions at this point. I was loaded up and taken the three blocks to UAB where they took me straight to the Maternity Evaluation Unit since the ER prefers to sends anyone over 14 weeks too. When I was being wheeled ino the MEU the cramping started. At this point I had already handed my "in case of emergency" , a list of important medical history and information, to the medical staff. I was immediately hooked up to a monitor and heard his sweet, wonderful heartbeat. The doctor did an immediate ultrasound to check for trauma and abruption and the baby seemed okay. The doctor explained that I would be kept there for either 4 or 23 hours. Once he heard my medical history(my records were immediately faxed over) there was no way he was letting me out the door for at least 23 hours. During all of this, my boss came over to sit with me until BJ got there which was so nice to have a familiar face there. They got an IV started(I made it out if only a few bruises because my veins kept blowing), the doctor examined me(no changes to my cervix thank the Lord for that one) and then I was transferred over to Labor and Delivery. My husband and father in law got there shortly before that and my mom shortly after.

So I was monitored for the next 23 hours and Grayson did very well at staying on the monitor. They told me that they are usually chasing around the 24 weekers because they squirm more. I saw a lot of his personality in that 23 hours, his aim at kicking that exact place of his monitor was very comical. The cramping stopped after 2 hours and we are thankful for that. Our night was not very restful but we figured it would not be plus I was very hungry since I couldn't eat. People have been asking why they wouldn't let me eat but there is a good reason. I did not need food in my stomach if they had to do anything emergent like a c-section. It is the same reason why they tell people don't eat after midnight the night before a surgery, they are not trying to be cruel, just safe.

After our 23 hours were up we were able to come home and the reality of the situation finally hit me. It could have been a lot worse and I am so thankful that we both came out of this okay. I want to thank everyone that was/is praying for us. Someone else's hand was on me and Grayson during and after our accident.

Today I am thankful that I am only a little sore but otherwise okay and I am cherishing each movement and kick that Grayson is making.

P.S. I have no idea about the extent of the damage to my car or the other person, I didn't stick around to look but I will have a rental car for this week.


  1. I Praise God you and baby are ok. Thanks for keeping us posted Love Audrey

  2. Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you are both safe! I bet you are tempted to just park your butt on the couch and not leave the house for 10 or 11 more weeks. Ugh.