Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Just a Quick Update

Grayson is holding his own in the NICU and is doing well. No new problems have crept up and (fingers crossed) no new problems will. He has been sitting under the billi-lights for the last two days because of jaundice but we hope today will be his last day. His eating is going really well. He seems to really enjoy nursing(it is quite humorous to watch him latch on) but I can't be there for each feeding so hopefully when we are all back home we can have a better routine. Right now we need to operate on NICU time. I have been dubbed the Dairy Queen because of all the milk I am making for him which I am glad that I am able to do that if I can't be there for every feeding.

Being back in the NICU has a been a bit unnerving. The smells and sounds are all the same but it has been strangely comforting as well. It is all so familiar. The hissing of ventilators, the constant alarms going off. We even see some of the same people that took care of Brayden. Luckily I have retained a lot of info on bonding with your baby while in the NICU and I am using that. Each day I pump covered in one of his blankets and I bring it back to him the following day so that he can be comforted by that. I also sing him the same two songs when I see him. I am so excited to finally get him  home but we have no discharge date yet. Hopefully soon.

I was discharged yesterday and, as always, it was incredibly hard to leave your child behind. I am recovering well though. I am still in some pain but it is manageable. The anxiety is the worst to deal with so I am on the phone constantly checking on Grayson.

Here are some pictures but I plan to take my camera and get some new pictures hopefully today to  post. Sorry there are no pictures of me and him but each time I am holding him usually I am nursing. Thanks for checking in!




2 comments: