Thursday, November 19, 2009

What does the cow say??

Eat More Chicken??

When Hubby and I were trying find ways to become more economical we decided to start looking for deals and sales on food and we started to grind our own meat. Sure, we could have just bought a bunch of Ground Chuck but that is not very healthy now is it? So we began looking for quality meat at a good price. We buy what we can and separate it into portions and freeze it. Tonight I was going to make taco meat. Since we have had meat for two nights I decided to do chicken instead.


First, I started with a frozen skinless, boneless chicken breast. I defrosted it and cut into little cubes.




I do realize that these pictures are a little gross because of the raw meat and all but I preferred to be thorough with my presentation on grinding meat. ;)


Next I fed it into the grinder. We use our Kitchen Aid for grinding, which has really payed for itself, but if you are interested in grinding your own meat you can always buy a manual one.








Here is the chicken ground up. One of the benefits of grinding your own meat is that you are able to control, to an extent, the amount of fat that you put into your meat.






Here is the chicken cooking. It looks a little like scrambled eggs but trust me it is chicken.









And here it is fully seasoned! Yum!









This is a picture of our dinner.

We don't always use ground meat or chicken with our meals but it is a good alternative for stews and soups, etc. Plus it stretches a bit further once it is made. It was a great dinner!

2 comments: