Sunday, July 25, 2010

My Book for the Week

So while we were taking all the boxes and stuff out of the attic, I found this book that I bought and read shortly after Brayden was born. It is called The Elephant in the Playroom and it is written by many parents sharing their struggles and strengths while raising their children with special needs. Most of the disabilities mentioned in this book are centered around Autism and emotional and mental disorders. However, there is a few(maybe a couple) of stories that relate to Cerebral Palsy.

So this week I have been reading it again. What I like about this book is that it is very honest and truly shows the struggles that some parents go through when raising a special needs child. It's raw and even somewhat scary at times. I do wish that they would have portrayed a better variety of children with special needs including medical and physical disabilities. Since I have found this book, I remembered that I had my eye on a similar book with a better variety of special needs. I will let you know how it turns out!

4 comments:

  1. Bring it to the office when you finish, sounds like something the whole team should take turns reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. I have ordered two similar books that I can share as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And when the team is through reading it, I'd like to as well. Wonder if I could find it at the library. I'll check that as well, since it could take a while. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, I have ordered two other books that you might enjoy too. I will pass those on once I finish them.

    ReplyDelete