Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Desk

My desk today is now empty. Why?? Because I quit my job. Don't be alarmed, I have a new one that I am starting on Monday. I have been very excited for this transition but today I was sad and nervous. I am leaving my comfort, my desk.

I was very surprised and shocked to see how much of my life was in that desk, which now resides in my car(the stuff not the desk). I found things that I haven't seen in so long. I found things that belong to me, others, and to my son. While I packed up my things and cleaned out my life from the past almost four years, I became very sad. I have so many memories tied around that desk. Laughing, smiling, crying, and yelling have all happened around my desk. I have gotten phone calls from parents telling me good news about their children, "She is finally walking", "He said a full sentence", and bad news too. Someone asked me recently if I am saying goodbye to that part of my life. No I am not. I am just putting it away so that I can finally move on.

A lot has happened that has revolved around my desk. My son got his morning meals there and was able to listen in on the early morning conversation that went on everyday without fail. Today I found some things that belong to Brayden in my desk drawer and I was taken back to the beginning. I was literally flooded with memories as I put his things to my face and realized that I could still smell him. That surprise was just waiting for me in my desk for such a long time for me to find.

I never thought that a piece of old, out of date, rickety furniture could hold such value.

No comments:

Post a Comment