Thursday, June 10, 2010

Serenity

I was able to share my evening with some very special women tonight. These women I have gotten to know over several weeks. Tonight one of them brought in a post from a blog that she had found. On this post, three things stuck out to me.
  1. God doesn't owe me an explanation.
  2. I probably wouldn't understand the explanation even if He gave it to me.
  3. Explanations wouldn't comfort me.
I was having a hard time with number 3 until I realized that even with an explaination, it doesn't change anything. Even if I did know why things have turned out the way that they have, still wouldn't comfort me. True it would give me knowledge and wisdom but it wouldn't take away the pain. I have been told, and have even said, that I like to have control. It is definitely hard to accept that I can't control everything. The post ended with a prayer...

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time. Enjoying one moment at a time. Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace. Taking as Jesus did, the sinful world as it is. Not as I would have it. Trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to Your will so that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with You forever in the next. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I think those three things from that post go a long way towards "answering" questions that you've had. No, we don't deserve answers and we wouldn't understand them. The main thing is that God was in control before it happened,and after it happened ... he's still God.

    ReplyDelete